If you have ever heard me go off on one of my rants, there’s
probably a 50% chance I was ranting about the coating on French fries. French
fries really are a perfect food, but there is a plague that is destroying the
virtue of the classic fry, and that plague is what I would call “coating”. I
remember my first encounter with French fry coating like it was yesterday. We
would often stop at Burger King on the way home from school and buy a couple
orders of fries with the change we could scrounge up from the floor of the car.
They were no McDonald’s fries but they were pretty good. Then one day,
everything changed. That once magically simple crispy saltiness was now tainted
with some sort of mysterious, more soggy than crunchy, oddly seasoned coating.
Since that fateful day I have learned that ordering fries at a restaurant is
like playing Russian roulette, and odds are by the time the evening is through
you will have regretfully eaten too many unsatisfying fries.
Tonight I took yet another French fry bullet. The culprit
was a neighborhood family pizza joint called “Chuckles”. These fries were the
worst of the coated worst. The meatball sub was better than a sharp stick in
the eye, but they could stand to use a crustier roll. All in all, they are on
my fry blacklist and I am unlikely to go back for more.
Stay tuned for many more French fry opinions. Don’t fall off the edge of your seat!
No comments:
Post a Comment