A few weeks ago, I went for a nice Saturday morning walk in
my favorite park. It was a beautiful day and it felt great just being alive. I
stopped for a few minutes to take in a particularly beautiful view of a meadow.
The week before, the field was filled with bright purple flowers. Now they were
replaced with yellow wildflowers, but a few purple ones remained and I thought
it was remarkable how the colors were perfectly complementary. The sun
reflected off the blades of grass so that the whole meadow seemed to glow.
There was a gentle breeze blowing through the grass and I could hear the soft
rustling as I stood there soaking it all in.
In that moment as the beauty of that meadow washed over me,
for just a second, I wished I had a smart phone. I could take a picture of that
meadow and post it on Facebook with a cute comment. “My Saturday morning walk!”
Then I could check and see who had “liked” it and know for sure just how nice a
day it really was. Sure, my flip phone has a camera, but it wouldn’t do that meadow
any justice and I hadn’t brought it with me anyway.
No sooner had I felt that urge to capture and broadcast the
moment than I was chastising myself for being so distracted. I said to myself, “can’t you just be
present in the moment?!” Wasn’t it enough to just let myself contemplate that
meadow and what it meant to me at that place and time? I laughed to myself and
carried on my walk. I hadn’t
walked ten feet before I saw a guy crouched down on the ground with his iPhone
out taking a picture of a caterpillar.
He introduced himself, his name was Artie if I recall
correctly, and we had a short and pleasant conversation about how we thought
the park was becoming overdeveloped before he took back off on his jog.
My initial response after this experience was to launch into
an internal rant about how smart phones are eating away at our collective
ability to “live in the moment” and I let myself revel in that righteous
indignation. But now that this story has marinated in my head for a while I
have changed my tune. Artie seems like a guy who really lives in the moment. He
saw that caterpillar and was so enraptured by it that he just had to capture
that moment digitally. I imagine Artie joyfully taking out that phone and
sharing that picture surrounded by adoring friends and family. Perhaps more
likely he just posted it on Facebook where his children, coworkers, and old
high school classmates could see it and say to themselves “That’s so Artie to
share a picture of a caterpillar from his morning jog.” Maybe he never even
looked at that picture again, but the very act of documenting that fuzzy little
caterpillar somehow brought the joy of seeing such a cute creature up just one
more notch.
And so, I have now decided to set my inner Artie free. I’ll
be posting about my latest obsessions, rants, raves, the profound and the
mundane. I hope sharing these experiences will heighten my appreciation of
them, but I’m not about to get a smart phone any time soon. Won’t you join me
on this journey?
No comments:
Post a Comment