Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Half-assed movie reviews: Saturday Night Double Feature!

I know what you're all thinking, a gal like myself must have a pretty full dance card. The fact of the matter is when Saturday night rolls around, the only date I'm getting excited about is with a bottle of wine and some Netflix.

Last night was a great night for relaxing in my jammies and soaking in some cinema. I knew things were going my way when I saw Blackfish was playing on CNN. I had been excited to see this movie for a while, ever since I didn't get around to reading Death at Seaworld.

The movie definitely delivers when it comes to being disturbing. You will see plenty of footage of orca attacks (they really prefer to be called "orcas" over "killer whales"). The footage of sad orcas in captivity was pretty heart wrenching too. If all that wasn't disturbing enough, you will see SeaWorld trainers masturbate a killer whale and that's an image that will stick with you.

All in all, I enjoyed this doc. Disturbing footage aside, there were some very nice shots of majestic whales frolicking in the wild. Still, I couldn't help but feel like something was lacking. Maybe all the CNN commercial breaks spoiled the mood.

Rating: 3 stars

I was feeling pretty satisfied with my Saturday night after watching a new doc, but I realized it was only 9 PM so I headed over to Netflix to carry on the party. I was tempted to just watch Clueless for the hundredth time, which would have been great, but decided instead to ride the wave of enthusiasm for watching something new. I settled on Minnie and Moskowitz, one of the few not-so-depressing looking movies gathering dust in my queue.

This movie was so good! Easily one of the most enjoyable new movie viewing experiences I've had in months. This date scene had me cracking up so hard:


Gena Rowlands is so great, I loved her in A Woman Under the Influence and this performance is perfect too. Strong-Female-Lead city. This scene where Minnie is getting drunk on wine with her spinster friend Florence makes me want to start doing my hair up in curlers and take up smoking. Or maybe I just can't wait to become Florence.



If you're in the mood for a heartwarming romantic comedy but don't want the low self-esteem that comes with watching whatever they're showing on Oxygen on a Saturday night, I highly recommend "Minnie and Moskowitz". It's available on Netflix and the full movie also appears to be on youtube.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment